nuffang

Monday, July 5, 2010

Mixed Fruit Tart




Last week, I wanted to used up my ready made pie crust that I got from Cold Storage for my Apple Pie before I leave for my short holiday. Decided to try doing mixed fruit tart with Custard filling cos I thought it would be easier. Well, I was so wrong. My first try at the custard tasted so good but looked and felt so wrong. It was totally clumpy. So I tried another recipe. It was ok, but still abit tough. I think I must have stirred them too much or something, cos it doesn't feel like cream at all. :(

On top I didn't drained the syrup from the peaches properly, so it was dripping with syrup. I did coat the pie with chocolate though, but the crust cracked. I think I kinda hit it and broke it when I bought it, cos my apple pie crust cracked too! It was kind of a sad experience for me. But, the tart still taste good. Cos they cracked like crazy, I couldn't take a proper photo of the sliced tart. :(
Anyway, here's the recipe, not much of recipe except for the custard. You can choose any fruit toppings of your choice. 

Mixed Fruit Tart
Ingredients:

Pie Crust Recipe
Ready Made Pie Crust from Cold Storage ( They come in set of 2 pies crusts on Aluminium Foil)
Fruits Toppings: Kiwi, Canned Peaches, Bluberries
8 squares of Lindt Chocolate for coating on crust
20ml of milk

Custard Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking:
300ml Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
3 Large Egg Yolks
50g SIS Caster Sugar
20g All-purpose flour
20g Corn Starch

Pie Crust
1. Baked the ready made crust in the oven for about 15-20 mins at about 175 degree celcius or according to manufacturer's specs.

2. Crust should be slightly brown and left to cool for about 30 mins.

3. Meanwhile, warm up milk in a saucepan and add in the chocolate, keep stirring until it becomes fondue like chocolate. If texture is too hard, add more milk. If texture is too diluted, add more chocolates.

4. Brush the chocolate mixture on the crust covering the base and the sides of the cruse.
At this point, you can choose to remove crust from the aluminium foil and placed the done crust in the fridge. I didn't remove the foil and had problems cutting it. haha

Custard
1. In a medium-sized stainless steel bowl, mix the sugar and egg yolks together with a wooden spoon. (Never let the mixture sit too long or you will get pieces of egg forming.) 

2. Sift the flour and cornstarch (corn flour) together and then add to the egg mixture, mixing until you get a smooth paste.  Set aside.

3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine the milk and vanilla essence on medium heat until boiling. (The milk will foam up to the top of pan when done, so watch carefully.) 

4. Remove from heat and add slowly to egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent curdling. (If you get a few pieces of egg (curdling) in the mixture, pour through a strainer.) 

5. Place the egg mixture back into a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling, whisking constantly. 

6. When it boils, whisk mixture constantly for another 30 - 60 seconds until it becomes very thick and it is hard to stir.

7. Remove from heat. 

8. Pour into a clean bowl and immediately cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a crust from forming. Cool. 

If not using right away refrigerate until needed, up to 3 days. Beat before using to get rid of any lumps that may have formed.

Assembling the Fruit Tart

1. Scoop the custard on to the tart and spread nicely using a spatula.

2. Decorate with fruits.

Some recipe would glaze the finished product with warm apricot glaze, I don't have it, so I didn't use. Just bear in mind that if you leave it in the fridge for too long, it will dry up. 

Enjoy!



No comments: